Design Principles/ Project 2

 

Design Principles


23/05/2022 - 03/06/2022 / Week 9 - Week 10
Goh Jia Yih / 0342839 / Bachelor of Mass Communication
(Advertising and Brand Management)
Design Principles/ Project 2





Week 9 


7: Sense of Place

Being observant means to pay attention to our surroundings, and be analytical about them. Observation can be an effective way to get ideas.


Observing = An active act of obtaining information through our senses. 


Sense of Place describes our relationship with places, expressed in different dimensions of human life: emotions, biographies, imagination, stories, and personal experiences.



Project 2


Sense of Place


Visual Research 



Figure 1.0: Room sunset ver.


Figure 1.1: Place to Be



Figure 1.2: Marzo




Idea Exploration


Sketches


Figure 1.4: Sketches


I made two sketches for different ideas.

The first one is the fireworks I watched on the night of August 31, 2020 with my favorite person. At that time, we were not able to go to the Big Meadow to celebrate this wonderful holiday with the big crowd together because of the pandemic. But my heart was warmed as I watched the beautiful blooming fireworks from the balcony. Everything was beautiful, a beautiful night, beautiful people, a beautiful time.

The second is a 2022 reunion dinner. My family only prepares one dish on New Year's Day: hot pot. We had a delicious and hearty reunion dinner before my grandmother passed away, but after that, there was no one in my family who could cook, so hot pot was definitely the best choice. The design in the sketch doesn't have people in it because everyone is in the kitchen preparing the ingredients. A warm reunion dinner, where everyone gets together and spends quality time, is the part of the New Year that I look forward to the most.



Drafts


I decided to go with the first sketch because I felt it was more relevant to the theme of the project and I could feel more resonance with it.  And so I have my first draft.



Figure 1.4: Draft 1


The first sketch gave me a slightly empty feeling, so I went ahead and added some elements, such as more fireworks and added colour to the houses in the background to make them stand out more.



Figure 1.5: Draft 2


Then I started experimenting with different drafts to create the best fit and most meaningful sense of place to my heart.



Figure 1.6: Draft 3



Final Outcome



Final Design "Spark" in JPEG




Final Design "Spark" in PDF



Rationale

This artwork is called "Spark." There are two reasons, one is to capture the beautiful spark of fireworks blooming. The second is that, for me, Spark is the moment I want to live; nevertheless, it will last more than a moment. It's about being content with life in the moment, like the spark in the Pixar film "Soul", and that's when the desire to move on is strongest. This is not a transient sensation; it is the unusual beauty of life. In that moment, I felt happiness, and it made me fall in love with life. 



Feedback

Dr. Jinchi commended my design for positioning the figures in a way that highlights people's proximity to the fireworks. She also suggested that I add light to the windows of the house in the background to improve the overall look. She also encouraged me to be more bold and experiment with new elements in my design in order to discover greater potential.



Reflection

I had a familiar image in my mind as soon as I received the theme for this project, and I decided to create it. The entire design process went relatively smoothly because I had a strong image in my mind. And I was very pleased with the final design. My interpretation of the theme was not only restricted to the location, but also to the emotion. It's a wonderful feeling to be able to translate beautiful moments through design, and I'll definitely keep creating my own in the future. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Typography/ Task 1: Exercises