Illustration and Visual Narrative/ Task 2

 

Illustration and Visual Narrative






02/05/2022 - 20/05/2022 / Week 6 - Week 8
Goh Jia Yih / 0342839 / Bachelor of Mass Communication 
(Advertising and Brand Management)
Illustration and Visual Narrative/ Task 2




Task 2





Decisive Moment


We've been given the task of creating a minimalistic poster based on a decisive moment from any published media of our choosing.



Figure 1.0: Tangled Movie Poster 
https://www.wallpaperbetter.com/en/hd-wallpaper-peiji



Tangled is the movie I choose. It is a 2010 American 3D computer-animated musical adventure fantasy comedy film produced by Walt Disney Animation Studios and released by Walt Disney Pictures.






Tangled has always been one of my favorite animated movies. I can't get that song, "I See the Light," out of my head. It's definitely one of the best Disney scenes ever. The song was so romantic, and the lanterns added magic to the scene. The two voices were perfect, it gave me watery eyes when I first saw it, specially how Rapunzel looked at the lanterns when the first appeared. 




Figure 1.1: Lantern Scene


So I decided to create a poster inspired by this lantern scene and the song "I See the Light."  It is sung when Rapunzel is finally achieving her lifelong dream to see the floating lanterns.



Visual Research

I found these minimalistic posters about tangled when searching online. I learned how to plan and apply colours for my own posters from these posters.




Figure 1.2: Disney Tangled Poster



Idea Exploration



Figure 1.5: Scene study 'Tangled'



Sketches

I started sketching poster designs after researching the movie scene. I decided to trace the original Tangled movie scene to create the silhouette to make the overall look more recognisable.



Figure 1.6: Sketch



Draft

Figure 1.7: Creating Rapuzel and Flynn silhouette


Figure 1.8: Lantern design




Figure 1.9: Draft 1
Figure 2.0: Logline



I embellished the poster with the logline and Pascal, Rapunzel's pet chameleon.



Figure 2.1: Draft 2




After I finished the composition of the poster, I started to experiment with more possibilities, playing around with elements. But I don't like it (Figure 2.2) since I think it's too complicated and doesn't match the minimalistic requirement. So I decided to stick with my original idea.




Figure 2.2: Experiment


I added Grain Effect to the entire poster design to give texture and to enhance the overall vibe of the poster.


Final Poster



Final Poster Design in PNG



Final Poster Design


Feedback

Ms. Anis approved my sketch and allowed me to proceed. She reminded me to be careful with the colour application because it is on a dark background, and to keep the design minimalistic.


Animation


First attempt



Figure 2.3: Draft 1


This is my first attempt, and to be honest, I'm not very satisfied with it because it's not the kind of aesthetic scene I had in mind, instead there is a jumpy feeling.



Second attempt



Figure 2.4: Draft 2


I attempted to animate a different element in the second attempt (the lantern). This time, the entire feeling was better for me, but the glowing effect was slightly faster, and I preferred it to be presented slowly and softly.



Third attempt

In the first two attempts I found that the lantern scene presented in the poster after adding motion was not well interpreted, so I returned to the movie clip to observe its background in greater depth. 

In the third attempt, I tried to add more elements in the poster and create more lanterns around the castle. The visual effect of the endless number of lanterns being released is also the tangled dreamy clip in my mind.




Figure 2.5: Draft 3



I am more satisfied with the overall result this time, and the gif looks much smoother. However, I modified the details again, for example, adjusting the foreground lantern's lighting speed and the floating speed and direction of the background lantern.  And finally, I made a total of 19 frames in the final gif to present the completed piece.





Figure 2.6: GIF Frames




Final Outcome



Final 'Tangled' GIF 



Reflection

Throughout the execution of this project, I had both a stressful and enjoyable time. The most challenging part was the animation since I really struggled with selecting which elements to animate and how to animate them. It was also a joy to create it because Tangled is my all-time favourite movie. This task requires strong conceptual abilities to convey a message using only the most basic shapes. The study of composition, layering, and applying effects and texture are the essential elements that make the poster stand out in this task. I felt a strong sense of satisfaction when I finished this project and it was really a great learning experience for me.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Typography/ Task 1: Exercises