Design Principles/ Exercise 3


Design Principles



25/04/2022 - 06/05/2022 / Week 5 - Week 6
Goh Jia Yih / 0342839 / Bachelor of Mass Communication
(Advertising and Brand Management)
Design Principles/ Exercise 3







Week 5 


4: Harmony & Unity

Harmony is the principle of art that creates cohesiveness by stressing the similarities of separate but related parts. It becomes monotony without variety. Color palettes or similar textures can create a sense of unity between different components. 


Unity refers to the repetition of particular elements (colors/shapes/material) throughout the design. Unity occurs when these elements are composed in such a way that they are balanced and give a sense of oneness, creating a theme.


Scale and Proportion are both design elements that have to do with size.

Scale refers to the size and dimension of figures and forms relative to a specific unit of measure.

Proportion refers to the size of parts of an object in relationship to other parts of the same object.

 


Week 6 


5:  Symbol, Word and Image

Symbol can provide or convey information, equivalent to one or more sentences of text, or even a whole story. 

Pictorial Symbols: Image-related and simplified pictures.

Abstract symbols: Look like the objects but have less details.

Arbitrary symbols: No resemblance at all to the objects or the ideas represented.


Word and Image: Users and viewers are able to relate to a concept or a brand if the right images are used in a work of design. It is important to use suitable and relevant images when designing. Typography is the design and arrangement of text to convey a message or concept.



Exercise 3

Choose TWO principles from Harmony / Unity / Symbol / Word and Image. Create 1 design for each chosen principle.



Harmony

Harmony is the principle of art that creates cohesiveness by stressing the similarities of separate but related parts. It becomes monotony without variety. Color palettes or similar textures can create a sense of unity between different components. 


Visual Research

Harmony quickly brings to mind the beauty of the cherry blossom season, the blue skies, the slowly falling cherry blossoms, and the lovely young girls. So I went online in search of guidance direction and inspiration.




Figure 1.0: Inspiration 1






Figure 1.1: Inspiration 2


These two were my main sources of inspiration, and once I had decided on the design's direction, I began to sketch out the ideas that I had pictured in my head.


Idea Exploration


Figure 1.2: Sketch



I felt that the overall design looked a bit empty, so I added a flower with plaster to the hand part, which actually matches to childhood memories of mine (as I liked to stick all kinds of stickers on the back of my hands, as well as plaster with cute colours or patterns).


Progress



Figure 1.3: Progress 1



I coloured the entire sketch with soft pastel tones, using gradients in several places and deepening the background colour.




Figure 1.4: Progress 2



Finally, to make the whole design look less flat, I used soft yellow to add a visual effect of sunlight cascading down into the background behind the cherry blossoms as well as the hands.



Final Outcome




Final Harmony design in JPEG




Final Harmony design in PDF



Let us find inner freedom in each lucky moment that we encounter, like a sun-basking butterfly that finds peace on a cherry blossom petal."
- Erik Pevernagie

Cherry blossoms are a symbol of love and hope, representing elegance, rusticity and pure love. Cherry blossoms silently open in spring, full of white pink cherry blossoms. It is the most beautiful language to tell lovers how much they love them. I hope my design, like cherry blossoms, gives the viewers the same feeling of blooming beauty.



Feedback

Dr. Jinchi suggested that I could experiment more with different hand postures and where the cherry blossoms fell.




Symbol

Symbol can provide or convey information, equivalent to one or more sentences of text, or even a whole story. 
Pictorial Symbols: Image-related and simplified pictures.


Visual Research




Figure 1.5: Inspiration 1



Figure 1.6: Inspiration 2


Based on my inspiration, the symbols I wanted to create are simplified objects that represent a message, a message that spreads love and positivity.


Idea Exploration


Figure 1.7: Sketches



I decided to go for the first design after discussing with Dr. Jinchi. Because the first design resonated a deeper connection with me. As a result, I experimented with several colour combinations.



Figure 1.8: Draft



I ended up going with the same colour scheme as I had sketched at the beginning. Because I wanted to express the original design I had in mind, the simple lines that make up the heart-warming illustrations.


Final Outcome


Final Pictorial Symbol Design in JPEG




Final Pictorial Symbol Design in PDF


Spreading love means sharing uplifting, motivating, inspiring content that people can relate to. Giving compliments is a great way to spread love, and it is easy too! If you love what someone has done, let them know. It might just be what they need to hear. That LOVE being shared will brighten the day of many.



Feedback

Dr. Jinchi agreed to let me choose the symbol I wanted to continue with after reviewing my ideas. She also mentioned that I could just use the symbol from my drafts as the final design if I wanted to as I could spend more time focusing on the harmony design.


Reflection

In this Exercise 3, since we had a long weekend, I had enough time to brainstorm and create artwork using the design style I am good and comfortable with. I personally feel that I am not very mature in the use of color, and I wish to improve this skill in my following design. It feels good to make meaningful work, and I hope to do so in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Typography/ Task 1: Exercises